I’ve put together a few ideas of presents to take round when you visit a new mum with a new-born baby. Baby often gets all the presents (who can resist gorgeous little baby outfits?!) especially if there has been a baby shower before the birth, so these are some ideas especially with Mum in mind.
- An insulated coffee/tea mug with a lid, to keep hot drinks hot and avoid spillages! Drinking lukewarm coffee and doing everything one-handed is par for the course in the first few weeks of parenthood!
- Baby Feed Wheel so the new parents can keep a note of baby’s feed times… pencils and scraps of paper are easily mislaid!
- Food…check dietary requirements (I’m lactose intolerant so couldn’t eat the box of the chocolates my husband’s colleague brought round. Not normally a problem but in my post partum state it seemed like the end of the world that my husband was eating ‘my’ chocolates, even though I couldn’t!). If you’re taking meals around, make sure they’re easy to reheat and there is room in the freezer for them.
- Nibbles like biscuits, chocolates, muffins and crisps to dip into while feeding, esp if breastfeeding, these can also be handy to give to other guests!
- Magazines or a kindle voucher.
- Hand cream (lots and lots of washing hands in those first few weeks can play havoc with your hands!)
- Anything off the ‘banned’ pregnancy food list (pate, strong cheeses, smoked salmon)
- If she’s a good friend, a basket of practical presents like dry shampoo, lasinoh cream, breast pads, maternity pads and a baby medicine wheel. If you can make the basket a ‘useful’ one, then so much the better.. maybe with a handle so it can be used to keep the everyday baby bits and bobs in, to move from room to room.
- Thank you cards and stamps.
- A cosy cardigan or bed jacket type item for the night feeds.
- Really nice cordial or soft drink. I love ‘Ame’ because it’s not too sweet, but it’s so difficult to find in the shops!
And while you’re on your way, don’t forget to ask the new parents if they would like you to pick up anything from the shops for them on your way round!